Monday, July 5, 2010

Traveling Back In Time

Before subscribing and actually creating a blog, I gave it a lot of thought. I am NOT the best writer in the world, but when I write it releases me..writing sets me free me. This past week my father was once again hospitalized due to a blood infection. I have never met a man as strong as him. He has been battling Alzheimer's Disease since I was 14 years old (2002).

Being an Alzheimer's child has made re-evaluate my life and accept what God has given my family and I. I would of never thought that Alzheimer's would have the power to change me greatly. A constant struggle to become the best I can be. To one day visit my fathers grave and say "Everything I did, I did it for you. I dedicated my whole career to finding a way to help those struggling with Alzheimer's."

This past week has made me go back to my graduate school essays. Here is a glimpse to how I broke down my past, present and future to the Admission dept. of a graduate school I applied to last fall:



“He was sitting on the couch as I was carrying my luggage out to the car. He stared at me as if nothing was going on. I went to him to say goodbye-- I kissed him on the forehead, he quickly reacted and told me- “don’t’ kiss me, I don’t’ know you”. That was when I realized that nothing was going to be the same…”

Since the day I became an Alzheimer's child my interest in the field of public health awakened. Also, being a first generation Latina of my family in the United States allowed me to maintain strong ties to my cultural tradition’s- also seen as unhealthy customs. Ever since I can remember my father led an unhealthy life style, from binge drinking up to excessive eating. He was never the type of man to stress his health. My father was diagnosed with diabetes before I was even born. Even after his diagnosis he never controlled his lifestyle. My father has had many complications ranging from a five-bypass open-heart surgery, five strokes, and Alzheimer's disease. Eventually his unhealthy lifestyle caught up to him and us, his family, who eventually turned into his caretaker. Since my freshman year in high school, I have watched how the health care system has lack the resources to help my family battle against Alzheimer's disease. Through my personal experience, I came to conclusion that it was not just my father who disregarded his health, but rather I saw it was a cultural epidemic. This realization gave me a strong assurance that a career in public policy and management will give me the adequate educational background to provoke change within my group as well as among others.

Upon my acceptance into Binghamton University, I took it upon myself to gain experience in the Alzheimer’s field. I also had the longing to inform others on how this disease, which was never really spoken about a few years ago, can change someone’s entire life. My sophomore year at Binghamton University, I came across an article on the Alzheimer’s Association website that stated: “The number of Hispanics elders suffering from Alzheimer’s and related dementias could increase more that six-fold, from fewer than 200,000 today to as many as 1.3 million by 2050.” I became horrified. I could not bring myself to imagine how this disease was going to alter the life of my people. Since that day, I refused to sit back and watch the silent epidemic continue to claim any more families.

At Binghamton University, I worked at the Bridgewater Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. I worked for over a year in the Alzheimer’s unit. My personal goal at the time was to learn how Alzheimer’s disease affected my ethnic group. I came to learn that Alzheimer’s does not pick and choose its victims. Alzheimer’s attacks every single race, culture, and ethnicity in the same way. While I worked at the nursing home, I tried to make it a fun environment for my residents. Everyday I worked I had a different activity planned, activities my father once enjoyed. For the females, I would have a “spa” day every week where I gave the residents hand massages and manicures. For the men, I engaged their day around sport and card games. I would set up a sports night where we all sat in the activity room and watched a classic Yankee game or a classic Jets games. They seem to really enjoy it and some how remember some of the famous plays. At the end of my shift I always felt accomplished. I was happy that I changed someone’s afternoon, even if they didn’t remember it the next day.

Fall 2008, I took it upon myself to develop and launch University forums to build awareness on this disease. As the president of the Alpha Gamma chapter of Hermandad de Sigma Iota Alpha, inc, which is a intercollegiate organization that strives towards the expansion of awareness of the Latino culture, excellence in academics and achievements among women, I had the incredible opportunity to work in collaboration with the Alzheimer's Association to conduct a forum called "The Silent Epidemic". The workshop was aimed to inform the student population about Alzheimer’s, how to prevent it, and what to do once a loved one was diagnosed. Shortly after, I participated in the Annual memory walk in Binghamton where I met a diverse crowd who were struggling the same way my family and I struggle. I participated in the annual New York City Aids, Relay for life, March of Dimes, and Special Olympics as well. In honor to my father, this summer, I put together a BBQ in New York City, where I raised $200.00 in just a few hours. I also participated in the memory walk where I had the chance to donate $500.00 I raised throughout the summer to the Alzheimer Association. I also interned at the Institute for Family Health where I conducted psychosocial assessments and assisted various populations in obtaining the maximum benefits from their medical and mental care. Throughout these various projects, I realized the significance of public health awareness and how many are ignorant to Alzheimer's disease. Taking part in these activities gave me the opportunity to expand my understanding of present-day health issues and how to fight these issues.

A *** degree in ****** will help me further develop my career goal in opening a health center designed for families of low income to receive the necessary guidance, support and care they need to battle Alzheimer’s disease. Through my experience with Alzheimer’s I have learned that with this illness many doors are closed. It becomes a constant struggle for those who do not have health care to makes ends meet. Family member take on two or three jobs to cover medical expenses. Alzheimer's does not only have an impact on the individual, it also affects the family as a whole. Families struggle to give their loved one the best care even when they can’t afford it. Many families lack resources and information they need in order to prevent this disease. Therefore, I want to help inform families, lighten the burden, stress and pressure of the unfortunate development of Alzheimer’s, while decreasing the estimated amount of Latinos that are predicted to have Alzheimer’s by 2050.

******
There is nothing worse than looking at a love one and seeing nothing but pain in their eyes.

-AEP

No comments:

Post a Comment